Sunday, December 30, 2012

A very rich dinner


Tears fill my eyes as I write today.  There is no way that I can convey all that I have already seen. So much poverty! The rain has washed away many of the little shantys (that word is too great to describe them) and people line the streets. They are a beautiful people, but so many stare hopelessly into their futures.

I had dinner with a man from the Maasai tribe tonight.  He is going to start working with the students who have graduated from KDS schools and are waiting to start college.  (Even after you are accepted, it can take 1-2 years to start.)  He will track them and make sure that they proceed successfully into college or into their communities to give back.  He will also let sponsors know what has happened to a student they may have supported for up to 12 years.

He told me all about the Maasai tribe.  They are known for their high jumping, their big gaged earlobes and the red plaid garments that they wear. They own much of the land of Kenya.  They raise cattle and believe that all of the cattle in the world belong to them. (I asked him if my father-in-law, who has around 60 head of cattle, should send them over. ; ) He said that the boys are required to kill a lion to prove their manhood.  They are also nomads, following the grasses to feed their cattle.  He also explained many of the tribal traditions.  One is that when they get married, they kill a cow.  Then they give certain organs to the elders, certain organs to the bride’s parents to show that they will care for their daughter, and a certain organ is given to the bride and the groom. They are very specific about which ones go to which person. (Sampson was dressed in normal clothes.  I will visit his Maasai village in January.)

Sampson went to college and now has returned to his Maasai village and is helping them to abolish unhealthy practices, such as female genital mutilation and underage marriage, while trying to maintain the good parts of this culture. They a community supported rescue center for girls. I have so much more to share about this night. I know that God has brought me here and I am witness to the work He is doing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment