Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Tensions Mounting

The first day we met the high schoolers, we noticed the shoddy shape that some of the uniforms were in. These kids wear them 6 days a week and they get worn out.  In addition, there is another school with the same uniform who don't have a very good reputation in the area. So, the decision was made to replace them this year.


We were scheduled to spend our last Thursday and Friday with the high school students.  I was really looking forward to it, because I wanted to re-record the four singers, including Christopher, without us singing along. (You might remember that the lead singer started much higher than we had practiced and it was a struggle to reach the notes. That's why it sounds a bit rough.)


Also, there were some girls who I wanted to visit with again.  Since my life has been spent working as  high school youth worker, I connected with the high school group easily.

Pulling into the lot, we could see all of the students in their new uniforms. They looked so beautiful and walked with confidence.
I found the girls right away.  The high school students had also prepared a show for us.  However, the primary election for Kenya was going to be the next day. The last time they had a Presidential Election, there was significant violence.  There were already groups gathering on the streets, and without a word, we could feel the tension. Ginger made an announcement that we would have to cancel the show and they needed to get their assignments and go home.
I was disappointed, but I knew it was for the best. I found Christopher and his group of singing friends.  I was able to visit briefly with them and say goodbye. : (

It was a quiet drive back to the hotel. I worried that these wonderful teenagers would not go home, but would want to be 'men' and join in the protests. We prayed for two days.  There was no contact and, though we spent two days enjoying the other sites in Nairobi, those students were on my mind constantly. The team left the next day and I was left alone to my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment